查看: 902|回复: 1
收起左侧

North resilient in the face of large claims

[复制链接]
发表于 2020-5-29 11:58 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式 来自: 中国上海
Club confidently delivering on strategy to strengthen and diversify in face of challenging 2019-20 claims year.

Two major casualties put a dent in North P&I Club’s underwriting figures for policy year ending 20 February 2020, but the period also saw the launch of new products as part of its continuing diversification, Member retention maintained at 99% and more tonnage insured than ever before. North’s 15th consecutive year of ‘A’ financial strength rating, supported by AAA capital, was also reconfirmed by leading independent analysts, S&P Global.

Rising claims based on greater market share and weak pricing pointed towards an underlying combined ratio for North of 108% - closely aligned with International Group of P&I Clubs counterparts - but North’s exposure on the Grande America and Golden Ray casualties helped push the figure to 125.8%. The claims are amongst the largest ever handled by North and, at potentially over US$400 million, Golden Ray could be among the biggest in IG history.

“The overall result clearly demonstrates the P&I industry’s volatility and sensitivity to large claims,” says Pratap Shirke Chairman, North. “While it is unusual for two such large claims to fall in so short a time, it is simply the job of the P&I club to protect its Members. Effectively managing these casualties in partnership with local authorities and international experts demonstrates North’s commitment to keeping Member interests central in everything that it does.”

Thya Kathiravel, North Chief Underwriting Officer, commented “We continue to build the strength and sustainability of the Club based on our clear diversification strategy and bringing in additional underwriting talent. In September 2019 we launched our Owners’ Fixed Premium P&I product and earlier this month announced a new blue-water hull and machinery product. The formal legal integration of North and Sunderland Marine, a key diversification initiative for us, is also close to being finalised and will further reinforce the resilience and sustainability of our underlying business.”

Also continuing to diversify is North’s investment strategy, with asset risk spread across a broader range of funds. Strong returns on investments of 6.4% earned US$64.5 million net of fees, although reduced corporate bond yields through 2019/20 saw this offset by a US$16M increase in the accounting deficit for the pension scheme.

The year-end reporting period pre-dates COVID-19 impacts, although North’s asset strategy is proving robust in the face of new volatility. “At 30 April, our position showed losses below 2% of the portfolio; this is comfortable in an extraordinary market,” says Ed Davies, Chief Financial Officer, North.

Paul Jennings, Chief Executive, North, points out that owned tonnage surpassed 160M GT for the first time in 2019/20. Including charterers, North’s entered fleet grew by 20M GT to exceed 230M GT. “In the last year, North insured more tonnage than ever before, continued to diversify our income base to enable Members to trade with confidence and strengthened our team; and we are now supporting Members through the COVID-19 pandemic.”

North’s premium income grew slightly to US$347 million along with market share, although Mr Jennings says that concerted action is needed to correct a three-year hiatus in premium increases. While free reserves fell US$19.5 million to US$444 million, a corresponding increase in 2018/2019 leaves North’s two-year position broadly neutral, he adds.

“Two unusually large claims in close succession have led to a one-off combined ratio figure in 2019/20, but North’s underlying business remains strong, resilient and healthy,” says Jennings.

回复

使用道具 举报

龙船学院
发表于 2020-5-29 13:47 | 显示全部楼层 来自: 中国江苏南通
面对充满挑战的2019-20年索赔年,俱乐部充满信心地实施加强多元化战略。

截至2020年2月20日North P&I Club保险年度的承保有两次重大伤亡,但在此期间,新产品的推出是其持续多元化发展的一部分,会员保有率保持在99%,承保吨位比以往任何时候都高。领先的独立分析师标准普尔全球公司(S&P Global)再次确认了North在AAA资本的支持下连续15年获得“ A”级财务实力评级。

基于更大市场份额和疲软的定价,不断上升的索赔要求表明North的基本合并比率为108%-与P&I Clubs International Group的国际集团非常一致-但North在Grande America和Golden Ray伤亡人数上的敞口使这一数字升至125.8%。 这些索赔是North所处理的最大索赔之一,可能超过4亿美元,可能是IG历史上最大的索赔之一。

“总体结果清楚地表明了P&I行业的波动性和对大额索赔的敏感性,” Pratap Shirke北方主席说。 “虽然两个如此大的索赔,要求在这么短的时间内落下是很不寻常的,但保赔协会保护会员的工作只不过是保赔协会的工作。与地方当局和国际专家合作有效管理这些伤亡,这表明诺斯致力于将会员利益放在一切工作中的中心地位。”

北部首席承保官Thya Kathiravel表示:“我们将基于明确的多元化战略并引进更多承保人才,继续增强俱乐部的实力和可持续性。在2019年9月,我们推出了船东的固定溢价P&I产品,本月初宣布了新的蓝水船体和机械产品。 North和Sunderland Marine的正式法律整合(对我们而言是一项重要的多元化举措)也即将完成,并将进一步加强我们基础业务的弹性和可持续性。”

North的投资策略也在继续多元化,资产风险分散在更广泛的基金中。扣除费用后,强劲的投资回报率为6.4%,赚取了6,450万美元,尽管公司债券收益率在2019/20年度下降,但被养老金计划会计赤字增加1600万美元所抵消。

尽管面对新的动荡,North的资产策略被证明是稳健的,但年底报告期早于COVID-19的影响。 “在4月30日,亏损占投资组合的2%以下; “在异常的市场中,这是很令人欣慰的。” North首席财务官Ed Davies说。

北区首席执行官Paul Jennings指出,自有吨位在2019/20年度首次超过1.6亿吨。包括租船人在内,诺斯(North)进入的船队增加了20M GT,超过了2.3亿GT。 “在去年,诺斯为吨位提供了前所未有的保险,继续使我们的收入基础多样化,以使会员能够充满信心地进行贸易,并加强了我们的团队;我们现在正在通过COVID-19大流行来支持会员。”

North的保费收入和市场份额略有增长,达到3.47亿美元,尽管詹宁斯表示,需要采取一致行动来纠正三年保费增长的停滞。他补充说,虽然自由储备金减少了1950万美元,至4.44亿美元,但2018/2019年的相应增加使North的两年地位大致持平。

詹宁斯说:“连续两个异常大的索赔导致了2019/20年度的一次性综合比率数字,但North的基础业务仍然强劲,富有弹性和健康。”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|标签|免责声明|龙船社区

GMT+8, 2024-6-26 13:01